Traveling can be hard on your phone's battery. Between navigating unfamiliar places, taking photos, and keeping up with work, your phone's battery life can drain faster than normal. Having a portable charger on hand can be a lifesaver when you're miles from an outlet. The Wireless Portable Charger with Built-in Cables from Unkerg is an excellent option for travelers who need extra power for their devices.
How we picked and tested:
- Powerful charging and recharging: For models with USB-C output or input, we preferred those rated for at least 15 watts. That’s the minimum wattage needed for full USB-C charging and recharging speeds (though devices that support the even faster USB-C standard—USB Power Delivery, or USB PD—need at least 18 watts). Likewise, for models with USB-A output or Micro-USB input, we looked for those rated for 8 watts or more. Anything less powerful would be painfully slow.
- No heavier than half a pound: Power banks should be small and lightweight, making them easy to tote around in a wallet, pocket, or bag for an entire day. We preferred to test power banks weighing 8 ounces or less, since we don’t think most people want to carry something in their pocket or purse that weighs much more than a smartphone (for reference, an iPhone 14 weighs 6.1 ounces and a Pixel 7 weighs 6.9 ounces).
- Capacity rating of 2,000 to 10,000 mAh: The capacity rating listed on the power bank tells you roughly how much power it can hold. Since batteries with a capacity rating of more than 10,000 mAh tend to be bigger, heavier, and more expensive, for this guide we focused primarily on those with enough capacity to give your phone a boost of power or to fully charge it several times.
- Built-in cables: We preferred power banks with some type of built-in cable or plug. This type of feature is indispensable when executed well, since separate charging cables (even if they’re neatly coiled up) take up more space in a bag.
- Price: We used a ratio of capacity (mAh) per dollar to break ties between otherwise similar models.